Should I change my cleanser depending on the season?

Debra Jaliman, MD
Dermatology

You should change your facial cleanser with the seasons; in winter you should to use a milder cleanser than you do in the warmer months, when you can introduce salicylic or glycolic acid. Watch dermatologist Debra Jaliman, MD, explain the details.

Depending on your skin type, it may be a wise idea to use different cleansers in the summer and winter. In the summer, humidity and heat may increase oil production, so a cleanser with more surfactants (i.e. more foaming) is needed to remove excess oil. In the winter, skin is dryer, so mild cleansers are more appropriate.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

How do I give myself a "Do-It-Yourself" facial?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
For those on a budget, you can attempt a basic facial in your own home. Gather a towel, bowl, water,...
What is hand hygiene?
Lisa S. Thornton, MDLisa S. Thornton, MD
Hand hygiene involves keeping your hands as clean as possible, since your hands are the most common ...
Should I change how I cleanse my skin when it gets dry?
When your skin gets dry in the winter, how should you change your cleansing routine? Watch the ...
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?