Can washing my face too much cause a breakout?

More is usually not better when it comes to washing your face as it can cause acne breakouts. “Over-cleansing, over-moisturizing or over-medicating the skin upsets the balance,” Linda K. Franks, MD, director of Gramercy Park Dermatology, NYC, told us. Case in point: You’re trying to tame your acne breakouts so you use several products designed to help dry up excess oil. The unfortunate result? You wind up over-drying your skin to the point where your oil glands are forced into overdrive, producing more oil and probably more acne breakouts.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

How often should I exfoliate?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Exfoliating too often is yet another example of overdoing a good thing. Like everything else, modera...
Why should I use a specialized cleanser?
If you use a harsh cleanser, you could be stripping your face of necessary oils that help protect yo...
What are the health benefits of baths?
Dr. Mike Dow, PsyDDr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Baths are good for the mind, body and soul. In this video, psychotherapist Mike Dow explains why a h...
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?