Q

Skin Cleansing

Can washing my face too much cause a breakout?

• A answered
    More is usually not better when it comes to washing your face as it can cause acne breakouts. “Over-cleansing, over-moisturizing or over-medicating the skin upsets the balance,” Linda K. Franks, M.D., director of Gramercy Park Dermatology, NYC, told us. Case in point: You’re trying to tame your acne breakouts so you use several products designed to help dry up excess oil. The unfortunate result? You wind up over-drying your skin to the point where your oil glands are forced into overdrive, producing more oil and probably more acne breakouts.
    2 people found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How should I wash my hands?