Is there an alternative to harsh acids or scrubs for my body?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Scrubbing can aggravate rosacea or a painfully dry complexion. And because acids work by temporarily lowering the natural pH balance of the skin, they can be very irritating for someone with sensitivity. The gentlest option is lactic acid, which is probably the cheapest and easiest exfoliant around. Just soak a washcloth in plain whole milk, then rest the damp cloth on your face, neck, and upper chest for a minute or two. (You can dunk the cloth again and repeat, but don't overdo it and cause inflammation. Four minutes on your skin is more than enough to see results.) Essentially, you're getting a light chemical peel, but the fatty proteins in the milk act as a moisturizing buffer to the lactic acid. Milk also has anti-inflammatory and humectant properties that help to soothe and moisturize skin simultaneously.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

Can I over-wash my face?
Cybele Fishman, MDCybele Fishman, MD
Many people think that the more they wash their face, the better; but over-washing can disrupt the b...
How should I wash my feet?
Make a point to wash your feet (and between your toes) with a washcloth carefully and regularly. Tha...
If I have normal type skin, how often should I wash my face?
Unless you have oily skin, you should not wash your face more than once a day with a mild cleanser. ...
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?