Why should I not use soap on my face?

It depends the type of soap you use on your face. Some soaps are harsh and strip away your skin's "acid mantle" -- the protective layer that inhibits the growth of bacteria and fungi. Be sure to wash your face with a pH-balanced soap or cleanser. Skip soaps with colors and fragrances. Dyes can leave a dull residue, and scents can trigger allergies. Tip: If the soap you're using doesn't sting your eyes, it likely won't bother your skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing Soaps

You Don’t Need Antibacterial Soaps to Keep Your Hands Clean
Think antibacterial hand soap is the best way to lather up? You might want to think again—especially since handwashing is a key way to protect yoursel...
What are synthetic detergents?
Synthetic detergents use synthetic and usually milder surfactants such as sodium cocyl isethiona. Le...
What is a deodorant soap?
Deodorant soap usually contains soap plus antibacterial ingredients such as tetrasodium EDTA. Learn ...
Why does soap leave my skin feeling dry?
Why does soap leave my skin feeling dry? Soap can remove natural oils; unscented lotion containing l...