Why should cosmetics ingredients be stable?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

It is common for a chemical to become unstable when exposed to light or oxygen in air and thereby lose its effectiveness. Vitamin C, a strong antioxidant, is notoriously difficult to keep stable in its topical form. Once it is exposed to oxygen, it's deactivated and may even become irritating to the skin. The chemist's challenge is to make sure the active ingredient remains stable and effective both inside a product's container and out. An ingredient can also become ineffective simply by being applied it the wrong way. Again using vitamin C as an example, if it is applied to damp skin it becomes destabilized and inactivated.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing Products

Why is gluten in skin cleansers and soaps?
Gluten is an ingredient that can be found in skin cleansers, and it is used as an emollient to help ...
What is sodium cocoate made from?
As its name suggests, sodium cocoate is derived from coconut oil. It is essentially the salt (sodium...
Do I have to buy an expensive makeup remover for my sensitive skin?
No. Two good choices are probably in your kitchen right now: water and olive oil. If you do use wate...
What Should I Keep in Mind When Using aPower Facial Cleanser?