Are synthetic detergents the same as soap?

Synthetic detergents, often found in beauty bars, are inherently milder than soap, which can strip skin of its own natural moisture. During cleansing, synthetic detergents (called syndets) help to keep the essential skin barrier components intact, and enable skin to recover quickly from the inevitable water loss that accompanies skin cleansing. Syndets also generally have a neutral or slightly acidic pH, which is better suited to skin maintenance (since skin is slightly acidic on its own) than alkaline soaps.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing Products

Is there a danger to skin in using gluten containing products?
Amy JonesAmy Jones
If you have Celiac disease or gluten intolerance, it is important to know that the gluten molecule c...
Are there differences in the type of cloth used in face cleansing wipes?
Face cleansing cloths can include open-weave and closed-weave varieties. The wider the weaves are, t...
Is it possible to use too much hand sanitizer?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
Yes, meaning if we over wash our hands and continually strip them of all germs, we will be negativel...
What Should I Keep in Mind When Using aPower Facial Cleanser?