Are there alternative treatments for burns?

Minor burns can be treated at home with cold water and some aloe or antibiotic ointment. You may have heard that oily substances such as butter and petroleum jelly are good alternative treatments, however, avoid these. These kinds of materials actually keep heat in the wound, potentially increasing the damage. They also raise the possibility of developing an infection. More serious burns will require emergency medical attention.

Alexander M. Majidian, MD
Plastic Surgery
The best thing to do to take care of a burn is washing it, says Alexander Majidian, MD, FACS of the Grossman Burn Center at West Hills Hospital. In this video, he explains the do's and don'ts of treating a burn. 

Continue Learning about Burn Treatment

How long does it take a burn to heal?
Alexander M. Majidian, MDAlexander M. Majidian, MD
The length of time it takes a burn to heal depends on how deep it is. In this video, Alexander Majid...
How should a child be treated for pain from all types of burns?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Even small burns can be painful. Your child may be irritable (grouchy) and even vomit once or twice....
How are burns treated?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Burns are treated by first determination of depth and extent of injury. Superficial burns are only s...
How can occupational therapy help me if I have a burn injury?
Medical City PlanoMedical City Plano
Occupational therapy focuses on your arms and hands. It helps you regain strength and range of movem...