Why do skin pores get clogged?

A skin pore is an opening that allows oil produced by the sebaceous glands underneath the skin to emerge. The oil, called sebum, can act like a glue, binding with dead skin cells to block the opening. As the gland continues to produce oil, this can build up and eventually form a pimple. Watch this animation to see how pores can get clogged.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
People get moles removed for a handful of reasons. Sometimes it’s purely cosmetic, other times it’s because the mole shows signs of potential skin can...
What side effects are associated with Radiesse?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
At this time, Radiesse has little risk for allergic reaction -- The main ingredient in this dermal f...
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
How Can I Stop Making Facial Expressions That Cause Wrinkles?