What should I do if I have moles?

Since moles can turn cancerous, it’s important that you’re screened yearly by a board-certified dermatologist if you have them.

Unfortunately, there’s nothing you can do at home that will safely affect change on a mole, though wearing SPF 30 on exposed skin daily will help prevent skin cancer.

“True moles should not be removed by lasers, they should be removed surgically so they can be biopsied,” David Bank, MD, president of the New York State Society for Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery, told us. This is a situation where it’s truly better to be safe than sorry.

If you have moles, it is good to know where they are, how big they are and what they look like. Any concerning-looking moles should be looked at by a doctor. Concerning signs include the following:

• asymmetry (if you draw a line through the middle of a mole the two halves should match; if not, it's asymmetrical)
  • uneven borders
  • one mole with multiple colors
  • large moles
  • moles that change over time

Keep an eye on your moles. If you notice changes, have a doctor examine them.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

7 Makeup Mistakes You Are Probably Making and How To Fix Them
It’s likely you’ve had the same skin and makeup routine for years, but you may want to think about updating your regimen. Why? Some of those habits ma...
Can I believe the claims made in ads for cosmetics and skin products?
Even if a product says, “clinically shown to...” remember that it’s one thing to research how a comp...
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
What Do Antioxidants Do for the Skin?
What Do Antioxidants Do for the Skin?