What does it mean when a mole has uneven colors?

When a mole has uneven colors, it may be a warning sign that skin cancer is underway. One reason for a mole to darken from brown to black is that cancer cells are piling up and changing the pigmentation of the mole. The color can also extend into the lighter area of the skin. The mole can also become red, white, or blue when cancer cells go deeper into the skin. If a mole suddenly changes in color or develops a red or darkened halo, it can be a sign that the mole is cancerous. Have a doctor check any moles that have changed in size, appearance, color, or shape.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Psoriasis
A psoriasis diagnosis can be surprising—and because the exact cause of the condition in unknown—confusing. Take charge of your condition and treatment...
How can I get rid of turkey neck without surgery?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
There are several strategies for getting rid of your turkey neck using topical products, depending o...
6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
These common skin problems can sometimes be embarrassing. Here are six different issues and how to solve them.
What Can I Do to Prevent or Lessen My Cellulite?