What is congenital nevus?

A congenital nevus is basically a mole or birthmark. They can occur anywhere on the body. The majority of these marks are benign, and do not require treatment other than for cosmesis (beauty-related reasons). But skin cancer — malignant melanoma — can develop in about 5 percent to 10 percent of cases. A change in texture, color or outline of the nevus, and/or the development of new nodules (tissue masses and knots) should be examined by a physician.

A congenital nevus is a dark mole or skin spot that is present at birth. Congenital nevi are generally benign and can be observed. If you believe your child's nevus is growing or changing you should consult your doctor.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Delicious Skin Saver
Delicious Skin Saver
Why is it that the minute cold weather hits, your skin gets dry and chapped? Partly because the colder the air, the less moisture skin can hold. But a...
What causes sensitive skin?
Some experts divide sensitive skin into four types: acne-prone, rosacea-prone, skin prone to con...
5 Foolproof Tips for Smooth Shaving
5 Foolproof Tips for Smooth Shaving5 Foolproof Tips for Smooth Shaving5 Foolproof Tips for Smooth Shaving5 Foolproof Tips for Smooth Shaving
With a few healthy habits, you can steer clear of cuts and razor burn.
How Can I Look Younger?
How Can I Look Younger?