What are active ingredients?

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) defines an active ingredient as any component of a product that has an effect on the diagnosis, cure, treatment, or prevention of disease, or that affects the structure or function of the body. For example, a sunscreen may contain certain active ingredients (such as oxybenzones) that protect the skin from the sun. It may also contain inactive ingredients such as stabilizing agents that may extend a product's shelf life but do nothing to protect the skin. Your dermatologist can provide more information about active and inactive ingredients.  
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

The FDA does not require cosmetics to undergo approval before they are sold to the public. Only ingredients that are classified as drugs, elements that affect the structure or function of the body, are in any way regulated. These drugs are labeled as active ingredients above the cosmetic components, or inactive ingredients. The manufacturer must provide scientific proof to the FDA that active ingredients are safe and effective.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Get Great Winter Skin with 3 Essentials
Get Great Winter Skin with 3 Essentials
Does your winter face look a little different than your summer face? Don't worry. Dry, dull skin doesn't have to be inevitable this season. To keep y...
What can I do about sweaty palms?
[media id="PRD__4d62d8784c8638_15901019" title="Sweaty Palms"] There are a few things you can do ...
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
How Can I Look Younger?
How Can I Look Younger?