How can I get rid of turkey neck without surgery?

There are several strategies for getting rid of your turkey neck using topical products, depending on how advanced your particular case is. “If it’s very pronounced, surgery will give you the biggest bang for the buck,” Francesca Fusco, MD, a New York City-based dermatologist, told us. “But for women who are scalpel-shy, there are several non-invasive treatments.”

If the skin on your neck is only slightly lax -- or if your goal is preventing turkey neck—applying a topical cream to the area can offer some help. “A vitamin-A cream like tretinoin can have a subtle skin-tightening effect,” says Dr. Fusco. “Just keep in mind that it won’t have any effect on fat.” Ask your dermatologist about a prescription Retin-A cream or go the over-the-counter route and look for a lotion with retinol.

Good-for-your-skin ingredients like peptides and antioxidants can also help to improve the appearance of neck skin that’s just starting to slacken. “They help mature skin by supplementing skin’s natural youth-retaining functions, which increases elasticity,” says aesthetician Christina Zehavi.

And of course, daily sunscreen is a must. The thin skin on your neck is especially vulnerable to ultraviolet A (UVA) damage, which contributes to a loss of elasticity. “So many women ignore the skin on their neck,” says Fusco. “You need to give it the same care you give your face.”

Continue Learning about Skin Care

5 Winter Skin Savers
5 Winter Skin Savers
The winter weather outside might be frightful, but your skin can stay delightful. That’s right! Say goodbye to chapped lips and dry, cracked skin. We’...
What can be done about nasolabial folds?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
"Pulling procedures" such as face-lifts don't have any dramatic effects on the nasolabial folds,...
7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By
7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By
Take better care of your skin with these quick lessons from a dermatologist.
How Can I Stop Making Facial Expressions That Cause Wrinkles?