How do hormones affect the skin?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
There are multitudes of different hormones in your body. They act as chemical messengers, carrying specific signals from one cell to another and regulating the function of their target cells. Hormones beautifully exemplify the biological lock-and-key concept of "structure is function," in that each particular hormone has a key to a receptor on (or inside) a specific type of cell. This complex communication system can also have many different effects on your complexion. Hormones are supposed to be in balance, but often they surge or dip, wreaking havoc on the skin.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Care

7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
Think your complexion is the product of your genes? Your daily health and skin care habits can make or break your appearance. "Only about 10 percent ...
How Can I Reverse the Signs of Aging On My Face?
Are Organic Skin Care Products More Effective Than Synthetic Ones?
What Causes Dark Under-Eye Circles?
What Causes Dark Under-Eye Circles?