How does cold weather affect my skin?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
During winters temperatures and humidity both drop which can affect skin dryness. Humidity below 30% does a real number on your skin, particularly your lips and hands, especially if you are over 50 years old. In the winter months the low humidity dries out your skin and harsh soaps strip away your natural oils. As we get older, our ability to make more natural protective oils (sebum) declines.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Beware of Mercury in Skin Care Products
Beware of Mercury in Skin Care Products
Mercury was the Roman god of shopkeepers, thieves, tricksters and transporters of goods. Bingo! We’re not sure how all those centuries ago they knew w...
How can I alleviate the impact of radiation therapy on my skin?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
For short term relief, you can use a rich emollient (like Aquaphor) for dry, reddened skin. Avoid an...
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
Think your complexion is the product of your genes? Your daily health and skin care habits can make or break your appearance. "Only about 10 percent ...
What Causes Lip Lines?
What Causes Lip Lines?