How can overexposure to the sun affect me?

Sunlight is raditation. Fortunately our skin provides excellent protection, but it has limits.

Overexposure to the sun, like any radiation leads to damage of your tissues. Skin cells can die, causing what we call a sunburn. Repeated sunburns and excess sun lead to damaged cells that can form cancers such as melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma and basal cell carcinioma. The sun also slowly destroys the collagen in your skin. This leads to thin skin that tears and bruises easily. It also causes wrinkles, dilated blood vessels and areas of spotty pigmentation. 

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Dr. Amy's 7 Habits for Healthy Skin
Dr. Amy's 7 Habits for Healthy Skin
Wondering what you can do to nurture vibrant, healthy skin from the inside out? Tackle stress! Make Dr. Amy's seven habits—which are the heart and sou...
Does darker skin age more slowly?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
The greater amount of melanin in darker skin tones can preserve the youthful look of your skin longe...
6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
These common skin problems can sometimes be embarrassing. Here are six different issues and how to solve them.
How Can I Treat My Forehead Wrinkles?
How Can I Treat My Forehead Wrinkles?