What are good facial exercises to prevent sagging?

Troy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
Fitness Specialist

The bulk of sagging that you see when you get older is simply loss of elasticity of the skin. Strengthening the musculature under the skin generally does not solve the problem in spite of certain opinions. If you lose a lot of weight this can also aggravate the appearance of sagging. If strengthening was the answer than paralyzing the musculature with botox surely wouldn't be a good solution since this causes atrophy. Although I am not advocating, the best answer to facial sagging probably will remain some sort of plastic surgery. You would have to consult a specialist but there are many different options from laser treatments to a full face lift and several options in between. Also if you are very lean putting on a couple pounds and hydrating can reduce the appearance of sagging skin but clearly this is a multibillion dollar question that every industry seems to be racing to answer. The most effective treatments though continue to be in the plastic surgery arena.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Keep Your Skin and Sinuses Healthy This Winter
This winter you can still hear Dean Martin in TV commercials crooning "Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful," which pre...
What can I do to improve my skin's appearance?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
The quickest thing to do is to exfoliate your skin gently. You can do this at home with an exfoliati...
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
Get the secrets to a sun-kissed glow, without the dangers of damaged skin.
What Can I Do to Improve My Jowls and Drooping Chin?