Does darker skin age more slowly?

The greater amount of melanin in darker skin tones can preserve the youthful look of your skin longer—but it can't totally prevent your skin from aging. “If you take care of your darker skin, it’s an advantage to you as you age, but if you don’t wear sunscreen, you’re no better off,” Montclair, New Jersey, dermatologist Jeanine Downie, MD, told us.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

How a Woman’s Skin Changes Over Time
How a Woman’s Skin Changes Over Time
Your 20s This is a time of subtle changes. In your 20s, expression lines may begin to show as your skin's collagen and elastin start to break down. Ph...
How can I improve my skin’s appearance in nine days?
If I had to give you one word that is the root of all evils today, at least when it comes to health ...
6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
These common skin problems can sometimes be embarrassing. Here are six different issues and how to solve them.
What Causes Wrinkles?
What Causes Wrinkles?