Do clogged skin pores cause pimples?

When a pore becomes clogged with oil and dead skin cells, a blackhead or whitehead may result. If bacteria infect the clog, the skin can become red and inflamed, causing a pimple. Outbreaks of pimples may be triggered by hormonal changes that stimulate the oil-producing (sebaceous) skin glands. These changes can result from puberty, pregnancy, menstruation, and the use of birth control pills. External triggers include facial creams, makeup, greasy hair ointments, clothing that irritates the skin, and sweat. Even stress is known to trigger pimple outbreaks.
Build up of oil and dead skin cells in a hair follicle opening can cause local bacteria to reproduce, which prompts a response by the immune system. The visible result is a pimple. This animation shows how this process occurs.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Skincare Shocker: Women, Shave Your Face!
I remember first learning to shave. Crouching over the running tub in a bathing suit, shimmery, raspberry-scented Skintimate splattered everywhere, tr...
What is normal skin?
Normal skin appears well balanced and is neither too oily nor too dry. Skin texture is relativel...
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make7 Skin Care Mistakes You Don't Have to Make
How Can I Look Five Years Younger for $5 or Less?