Are moles harmful?

Moles are colored areas of the skin that contain the pigment melanin. Moles may be small or large, raised or flat, and may or may not contain hair. They range in color from pink to very dark brown or black.

The tendency to develop moles is genetic, although spending too much time in the sun can increase the number of moles a person has. Having a large number of moles is associated with increased skin cancer risk.

Most moles are harmless. However, changes in the size, shape, or color of a mole may indicate something serious and require a skin cancer screening from a healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
People get moles removed for a handful of reasons. Sometimes it’s purely cosmetic, other times it’s because the mole shows signs of potential skin can...
What features of the aging face occur earliest?
Erik A. Hoy, MDErik A. Hoy, MD
The earliest changes occur in the most mobile areas of the face. This means that the Crow's feet in ...
7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By
7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By7 Expert-Approved Skin Care Secrets to Live By
Take better care of your skin with these quick lessons from a dermatologist.
What Are Inexpensive Treatments for Under Eye Circles and Brown Spots?