What are the psychological after-effects of plastic surgery?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

In general, the majority of patients are aware of what their postoperative results will be after their cosmetic surgical procedure.  As a board certified plastic surgeon, I am also, in some sense, a psychotherapist in that I need to understand during the initial consultation, each patients desires and realistic expectations for the procedure that they ensue.  Patients who have unrealistic expectations can be extraordinarily depressed postoperatively, and it is important that we attempt to triage this patient's preoperatively and not operate on them.  It is not uncommon for patient's to have postoperative depression, even after an uneventful surgical procedure.  Thankfully, with the majority of these patients, this resolves over a short period of time.  However, there are those who may require psychotherapy, especially those who have severe body dysmorphic disorders, or self-image problems.  Again, we attempt in all cases to determine the mental status and psychological decisions made by each and every patient prior to undergoing elective surgery.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them6 Embarrassing Skin Issues and How to Fix Them
These common skin problems can sometimes be embarrassing. Here are six different issues and how to solve them. Of all the weird, wacky issues that hum...
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?
What Causes Lip Lines?
What Causes Lip Lines?
What Causes Dark Under-Eye Circles?
What Causes Dark Under-Eye Circles?