What do I need to know about caring for someone with a sunburn?

If you are caring for someone with a sunburn, like a small child, examine the burn to see if it is relatively minor or in need of medical attention. For instance, if your child is burned over much of the body or the burn is blistering, then watch for signs of complications, like fever, nausea, chills, trouble breathing, dizziness, and thirst. If any of these symptoms are present, see your doctor as soon as possible. Otherwise, try to make your child comfortable by applying cold washcloths to the skin or having your child take a cold bath. Rub a moisturizing cream on the area and, if there's pain, you may give acetaminophen or ibuprofen according to directions. Consult your doctor about giving a very young child pain relievers, though, for accurate dosing.

Continue Learning about Skin Care

7 Makeup Mistakes You Are Probably Making and How To Fix Them
It’s likely you’ve had the same skin and makeup routine for years, but you may want to think about updating your regimen. Why? Some of those habits ma...
How can I make my pores less noticeable?
Regular, gentle exfoliation and cleansing of the skin can help make pores less noticeable. This is e...
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making7 Worst Summer Skin Care Mistakes You Need to Stop Making
Get the secrets to a sun-kissed glow, without the dangers of damaged skin.
What Can I Do to Feel Younger?
What Can I Do to Feel Younger?