Why didn't my doctor prescribe antibiotics for my sinusitis?

When sinusitis is caused by a virus or irritation in the air (like cigarette smoke), antibiotics will not help it get better. Acute sinusitis will almost always get better on its own. It is better to wait and take antibiotics only when they are needed. Taking antibiotics when they are not needed can be harmful.

Each time you or your child takes an antibiotic, the bacteria that normally live in your body (on the skin, in the intestine, in the mouth and nose, etc.) are more likely to become resistant to antibiotics. Common antibiotics cannot kill infections caused by these resistant germs.

If symptoms continue for more than 10 days, schedule a follow-up appointment with a healthcare provider for re-evaluation to avoid any complications.

Continue Learning about Sinusitis

Are there alternative treatments for sinusitis?
There are several alternative treatments available to treat sinusitis, starting with getting enough ...
Can using a neti pot be effective for sinusitis?
Using a neti pot to rinse or clean your nasal passages can help to relieve congestion from sinusitis...
What Is Sinusitis?
What Is Sinusitis?
Is There a Home Remedy for Sinus Infections?