Does shoulder replacement surgery help both pain and mobility?

Shoulder replacement surgery makes the shoulder much better than before, especially in terms of pain.

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

All shoulder replacement procedures, resurfacing, hemi-arthroplasty or total shoulder replacement are primarily performed for pain relief. End-stage shoulder arthritis can rob people of comfort, sleep and function. Often, depending on the mobility of the shoulder prior to surgery and the type of implant used, patients will regain some of their previously lost mobility although we do not expect them to regain all of it.

Continue Learning about Shoulder

What might be the cause of my daughter's uneven shoulders?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
If your daughter's shoulders are uneven in height you should pursue an evaluation for scoliosis. If ...
What are the bones in your shoulder joints?
Your shoulder joints consist of three bones (the clavicle, scapula, and humerus), and they're essent...
What questions will my doctor ask to diagnose a shoulder problem?
Dr. Kristofer J. Jones, MDDr. Kristofer J. Jones, MD
A good patient history and physical exam is the foundation for an accurate diagnosis of your shoulde...
What is reverse shoulder replacement?
Regional Medical Center Bayonet PointRegional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Reverse shoulder replacement is done if the rotator cuff isn't intact. In this procedure, the ball a...