How do I know when my razor blade needs to be replaced?

A razor should slide smoothly across your skin. If your razor snags or pulls, your blade is getting dull and should be replaced. Dull blades can cause nicks, cuts and razor burn. You should also replace your blade if there are any traces of rust on it.

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Dermatology
It depends how thick your hair is, but men and women should change their razor blade every 4-7 days for optimal results. Watch as dermatologist Jeanine Downie, MD, explains why it's important to change your blade and how to get a smooth, close shave.

Continue Learning about Shaving

How does a straight razor become sharp - and stay that way?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Shaving requires a sharp knife. An ordinary knife will work, but the best type of knife for the job ...
What is the proper way to shave?
Here’s how we recommend a good shave, whether you’re taking care of yourface, legs, or other areas:R...
What Is the Proper Way to Shave?
What Is the Proper Way to Shave?
How Can I Prevent Razor Burn?
How Can I Prevent Razor Burn?