What is the proper way to shave?

Cybele Fishman, MD
Dermatology
Tips for shaving your legs: don't exfoliate that day; don't dry shave; wait a few minutes in shower before shaving; and shave in the direction of hair growth. Watch dermatologist Cybele Fishman, MD, share her guidelines for the perfect shave.

Here’s how we recommend a good shave, whether you’re taking care of your
face, legs, or other areas:

• Rinse the area with warm water, then press a warm washcloth against for a minute or two (to help soften up hairs to be shaved).
  • Shave with short strokes in the direction of hair growth (not against the grain); don’t pull the skin and make sure to use a sharp razor every time.
  • Aftershaves are okay to use (unless they cause a burning or tingling sensation that’s too uncomfortable); you can also try a moisturizer instead.
  • If you experience razor burns (tiny bumps of inflammation), you may want a lotion like bacitracin (or antibiotic lotion clindamyacin) to ease inflammation.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Shaving

How did the safety razor develop?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
To make shaving safe, comfortable and easy required a completely new concept for the shaving tool. T...
What can I do to make my blade last longer?
Rinse your blade with warm or hot water after every use to clear it of any hair, skin or shaving cre...
How Do I Treat Razor Burn on My Legs?
How Do I Treat Razor Burn on My Legs?
How Do I Know When My Razor Blade Needs to Be Replaced?