What is the proper way to shave?

Here’s how we recommend a good shave, whether you’re taking care of your
face, legs, or other areas:

• Rinse the area with warm water, then press a warm washcloth against for a minute or two (to help soften up hairs to be shaved).
  • Shave with short strokes in the direction of hair growth (not against the grain); don’t pull the skin and make sure to use a sharp razor every time.
  • Aftershaves are okay to use (unless they cause a burning or tingling sensation that’s too uncomfortable); you can also try a moisturizer instead.
  • If you experience razor burns (tiny bumps of inflammation), you may want a lotion like bacitracin (or antibiotic lotion clindamyacin) to ease inflammation.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Shaving

How Can I Shave to Prevent Ingrown Hairs?
What Are Some Treatments for Razor Bumps?
What Is the Proper Way to Shave?
What Is the Proper Way to Shave?
How Can I Prevent Razor Burn?
How Can I Prevent Razor Burn?