How can I prevent razor burn?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine

Soak your legs in warm water for a few minutes to soften the hair before you shave. Next, liberally apply an alcohol-free shaving lotion or gel (alcohol can dry out your skin), leave the gel on for a few minutes to soften hair. Technique is important in shaving. For a close shave, shave against the hair growth pattern, pulling the razor up from your ankle toward your knee. However, if you have sensitive skin or shaving tends to irritate your skin, move the razor with the grain of your hair, and don't shave over the same area more than once. Finally, be sure to use a clean, sharp razor blade to prevent your skin from pulling and don't apply too much pressure as you shave.

Continue Learning about Shaving

Do I need to replace my razor blade after a specific amount of time?
There's no specific timeframe that dictates how often you should replace your razor blade because ma...
What is the proper way to shave?
Here’s how we recommend a good shave, whether you’re taking care of yourface, legs, or other areas:R...
How do I know when my razor blade needs to be replaced?
A razor should slide smoothly across your skin. If your razor snags or pulls, your blade is getting ...
What is razor burn?
Razor burn is a mild skin irritation caused by friction from shaving, often from using a dull razor ...