What is a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

It is an infection passed from person to person through intimate sexual contact. STIs are also called sexually transmitted diseases, or STIs.

This information is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
A sexually transmitted infection is spread from person to person by close contact of the genitals to genitals or sometimes genitals to mouth. These are also called sexually transmitted diseases. They include the specific infections of chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphillus, genital herpes, pediculosis or lice, trichomoniasis, genital warts, lymphogranuloma venereum and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Sexuality

As a Teen, Is It Normal to Not Have Orgasms?
As a Teen, When Will I Know When It's Time to Have Sex?
As a Teen, What Is the Right Birth Control Pill for Me?
Is Masturbating Once a Week Bad for Me As a Teen?