As a teen, how can I tell my parents that I'm pregnant?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
It is hard to think of a situation where a pregnancy while still a teen is also a situation that you or your family wanted. That makes telling your parents very difficult.
At the same time, your parents should be the people who can give you the most help and support even if they are disappointed about the pregnancy and sad for the difficult tasks you have ahead of you. This help and support is important for your health. That’s why you should tell them as soon as you possibly can.
If you think you might be in danger if you share this information with your parents, tell another responsible adult and ask for help in telling your parents. This adult might be your health care provider, a counselor at school, a minister or other religious person, or a close and trusted friend.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Sexuality

Is it dangerous to kiss as a teen?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
Kissing itself is not dangerous in itself, but it depends on whom you're kissing. In this video,...
What is herpes simplex virus (HSV) in teens?
We call herpes the gift that keeps on giving, as this virus incorporates itself into the DNA of cert...
Is It Possible to Get Pregnant From Anal Sex?
Can My Doctor Tell Whether I've Ever Had Sex By Examining Me?