How should I be tested for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)?

Everyone who is sexually active should be screened for STIs at least once a year, and three to six months after any new partner. Most docs now use quick and painless urine tests to diagnose some STIs; in women, a doc might follow up with a pelvic exam if the test is positive. Pap smears, which detect precancerous changes in cervical cells caused by HPV, are not recommended until at least age twenty-one.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Sexuality

As a teen, what's the best way to prevent pregnancy?
The best way to prevent pregnancy at any age is abstinence, which is not having sexual intercour...
As a teen, what should I know about sexting?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
Engaging in sexting is a dangerous activity for teens. It can have adverse side effects and the cons...
Is It Possible to Get Pregnant From Anal Sex?
How Do I Talk to My Mom About Taking Birth Control Pills?