How effective is the birth control pill for teens?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

'The Pill" is an extremely effective method of birth control IF TAKEN ACCORDING TO DIRECTIONS. Although not 100% effective, it can prevent pregnancy for all age women. However, the lifestyle of teens may make them less than ideal candidates. Their irregular school and social schedules may cause them to forget their medication, and if it is not taken daily may result in pregnancy. Several tips to help teens:

• Use your alarm on your phone as a reminder (works well)
  • Establish a routine-take your pill at the same time as another routine- brushing your teeth or eating dinner- whatever tends to be the most consistent behavior.
  • If it helps, there is a chewable pill that doesn't require water- you can take it anywhere, anytime.
The birth control pill is very effective for both teens and adults for preventing pregnancy. When taken at the same time every day, the birth control pill is 99% effective at preventing pregnancy. The key is making sure you take the pill every day as close to the same time as possible. Birth control pills will not prevent STDs.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Sexuality

How Do I Talk to My Mom About Taking Birth Control Pills?
Is Masturbating Once a Week Bad for Me As a Teen?
As a Teen, Is It Normal to Not Have Orgasms?
As a Teen, What Is the Right Birth Control Pill for Me?