What tests may I have when I have been sexually assaulted?

Tests that are usually done for a patient who has been sexually assaulted include a blood draw for HIV, Hepatitis B and C, and syphilis. A cervical swab is done for gonorrhea and chlamydia and urine is collected for a pregnancy test. If a patient thinks they may have been given a "date rape" drug, their urine can also be tested for drugs like Rohypnol.

After the initial labs are drawn, follow-up is usually recommended in 1-2 months and most of those labs are collected again. This is because the initial set of labs may not show if an infection was acquired from the sexual assault.

Continue Learning about Sexual Assault Treatment

How can I help someone who has been sexually assaulted?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
You can help someone who has been sexually assaulted by listening and providing support. Do not be c...
Are there any specific services for women with military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
If you’d rather be in a single-sex environment, take advantage of the Department of Veterans Affairs...
What services does the VA have for military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
The VA offers screening and treatment services to help Veterans overcome military sexual trauma. All...
What happens if I see a mental health provider for military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
When you go see a mental health provider you can expect to receive a formal assessment for specific ...