What tests may I have when I have been sexually assaulted?

Lisa Moment
Lisa Moment on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Nursing

Tests that are usually done for a patient who has been sexually assaulted include a blood draw for HIV, Hepatitis B and C, and syphilis. A cervical swab is done for gonorrhea and chlamydia and urine is collected for a pregnancy test. If a patient thinks they may have been given a "date rape" drug, their urine can also be tested for drugs like Rohypnol.

After the initial labs are drawn, follow-up is usually recommended in 1-2 months and most of those labs are collected again. This is because the initial set of labs may not show if an infection was acquired from the sexual assault.

Continue Learning about Sexual Assault Treatment