What medicines may I need when I have been sexually assaulted?

Lisa Moment
Lisa Moment on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Nursing

Usually, one to two antibiotics are prescribed to prophylactically treat gonorrhea and chlamydia. Flagyl is another medication that is used to prevent or prophylactically treat trichomonas. Flagyl will not be given if the patient has had any alcohol in the last 24 hours. A hepatitis B vaccine may be given if the patient hasn't had one in the past. Emergency contraceptives can usually be given if the patient requests them and the patient's pregnancy test was negative.

HIV medications can be given as well if the patient requests them. Emergency departments may keep an emergency stock of the HIV medications and will only usually give up to two days’ worth of the HIV medications. A follow-up with the infectious disease department may be required to get the rest of the medications.

Continue Learning about Sexual Assault Treatment

Can a primary care doctor tell how I'm coping with military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Not really. Medical doctors are not really trained to identify MST and would need to refer you to a ...
Where can I get help if I’ve been sexually assaulted?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If you are sexually assaulted, it is not your fault. Don't be afraid to ask for help or support. Hel...
What tests may I have when I have been sexually assaulted?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
Tests that are usually done for a patient who has been sexually assaulted include a blood draw for H...
What services does the VA have for military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
The VA offers screening and treatment services to help Veterans overcome military sexual trauma. All...