Do I have to accept a mental health referral for military sexual trauma?

Absolutely not. You do not have to accept a referral to see a mental health provider about MST. Your doctor should only encourage you but not coerce you into going. If you decline, the opportunity should remain available to you for when you’re ready. In the meantime, you can continue talking to your doctor until you feel the need or desire to accept the referral. After talking to your own doctor a while, you may feel more relaxed and open to speaking freely with the mental health professional and that may lead to better results. Sharing and acknowledging the sexual trauma can be validating you.

Continue Learning about Sexual Assault Treatment

What tests may I have when I have been sexually assaulted?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
Tests that are usually done for a patient who has been sexually assaulted include a blood draw for H...
Where can I get help if I’ve been sexually assaulted?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If you are sexually assaulted, it is not your fault. Don't be afraid to ask for help or support. Hel...
What medicines may I need when I have been sexually assaulted?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
Usually, one to two antibiotics are prescribed to prophylactically treat gonorrhea and chlamydia. Fl...
Are there any specific services for women with military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
If you’d rather be in a single-sex environment, take advantage of the Department of Veterans Affairs...