How can I help someone who has been sexually assaulted?

You can help someone who is abused or who has been assaulted by listening and offering comfort. Go with her or him to the police, the hospital, or to counseling. Reinforce the message that she or he is not at fault and that it is natural to feel angry and ashamed.
This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.
Angela Lowery
Family Medicine
You can help someone who has been sexually assaulted by listening and providing support. Do not be critical. Help them to understand it is not their fault. Assist them to hospital and proper authorities. Provide comfort by letting them know you are there for them. 

Continue Learning about Sexual Assault Treatment

Do I have to accept a mental health referral for military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Absolutely not. You do not have to accept a referral to see a mental health provider about MST. Your...
What services does the VA have for military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
The VA offers screening and treatment services to help Veterans overcome military sexual trauma. All...
Are there any specific services for women with military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
If you’d rather be in a single-sex environment, take advantage of the Department of Veterans Affairs...
Can a primary care doctor tell how I'm coping with military sexual trauma?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Not really. Medical doctors are not really trained to identify MST and would need to refer you to a ...