Why are men consumed with sex?

In reality, sex is one of life's driving biological forces and-at least anthropologically-why men are consumed with sex. We eat; we seek shelter; we procreate. From the most basic metabolic level, that's why we exist, and evolution commands us to do so.

Think about this: After we pass prime procreation age-somewhere around 35-we start experiencing the majority of age-related changes in our bodies that make us susceptible to disease. In essence, once the world gets what it needs from you (offspring), it's ready to inflict the mechanisms that discard you. You're finished procreating. Your job's done. Thank you. Commence gradual artery clogging. Game over.

Okay, so biology isn't that harsh, but from an evolutionary standpoint, your genetic value is equated with your ability to procreate. Of course, as humans, we know differently-that we value each other socially, spiritually, morally, and emotionally, and we value the more mature members of society to guide the species to make smarter decisions.

So even if we don't personally add more kids, we do help keep kids alive and functional. What's that mean to you? After 35 or so, your genes no longer protect you. It's up to you to protect yourself. But that reality doesn't mean that sex has to stop as you get older (take Sun City, Arizona, for instance, where at least a dozen cases of seniors having sex in public places were reported recently).
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Life After Mastectomy: Sex, Self-Image and Strategies for Coping
A woman’s breasts are one obvious sign of femininity and can be a source of great sexual pleasure for her and her partner. But when a woman is diagnos...
How can I tell if a man is sexually attracted to me?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Men are hard-wired to respond to sexual attraction. It is possible that all men will find you sexual...
8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now
8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now
You can improve your health just by being intimate.
Can Orgasms Improve My Health?
Can Orgasms Improve My Health?