What is celibacy?

Traditionally, celibacy has meant choosing not to marry. Today, many people use it to mean not having sex with a partner for a certain period of time, and sometimes no masturbation as well. Sometimes, people choose celibacy in response to their culture's overemphasis on sex, as a break from feeling that they must relate to others sexually all the time.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Continue to Rise in the U.S.
The number of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) in America hit an all-time high in 2018, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Preventio...
What is sexual response?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Sexual response can refer specifically to the physical changes that occur during sexual stimulation ...
4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction
4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction
They do a number on your sex life—and can point to even bigger health problems.
How Can I Have More Fun With Sex?
How Can I Have More Fun With Sex?