Is commitment important for a long-lasting romantic relationship?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Marriage is hard work. That is not a bad thing. It is work in the same way as exercise: when you love it, you barely even notice. Still, it takes commitment, creativity, and a willingness to check your ego at the door.

There are a few things that can make any partnership better. The first is commitment. It is the willingness to stick it out, to say, "We are in this together" and actually mean it. It is more difficult than it sounds. The temptation to walk away when things get painful is strong. More so, if you enter into relationship thinking it is supposed to make you feel good all the time. However, if commitment is not something you think you can live up to, forget about marriage and get a pet. You will save yourself and your would-be spouse a lot of heartache, and a hefty lawyer's fee.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Is Good Sex a Sign of Good Health?
Is Good Sex a Sign of Good Health?
Q: I'm a 54-year-old man with an extremely active sex life. My girlfriend and I have intercourse once or twice a day for 15-30 minutes each time. Does...
How should I talk about sex to my partner with bipolar disorder?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
Talk with your bipolar partner. If the topic of sex is taboo, your problems can't be solved. Thi...
4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction
4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction
They do a number on your sex life—and can point to even bigger health problems.
Dr. Oz - sex lasts how long?
Dr. Oz - sex lasts how long?