How can having sex relieve stress in women?

Eva B. Cwynar, MD
Sex relieves stress and depression. Sexual activity relaxes the nervous, respiratory, and circulatory systems, according to a study conducted by Roy J. Levin of the University of Sheffield in Sheffield, England. Levin reports that hormones in semen contain substances that have been found to relax a woman, which is one reason we often feel in a better mood after a man ejaculates inside the vagina.

Another study found that participants who had had intercourse were better able to handle stress in many situations (including public speaking and doing verbal arithmetic) than those who had not had intercourse. And we know that sex releases brain endorphins, which automatically lifts your mood and helps relieve stress.
The Fatigue Solution: Increase Your Energy in Eight Easy Steps

Every day, all over the world, millions of women are grappling with many of the same mind and body issues: low sex drive, weight gain, sexual dissatisfaction, chronic stress, anxiety,...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Sex Therapy Is Not What You Think—Here’s Why
Let’s face it, for many couples, there are times when the fireworks may fizzle a little—or a lot. There may be relationship issues that get in the way...
Why can it be important to talk during sex?
When it comes to sex, some women are as silent as a 1920s movie. They fear that they can't tell thei...
10 Best Cities for Sex
10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex
Find out where men and women are really satisfied.
How Can I Feel More Comfortable With My Body During Sex?