Can a doctor test for a sensory-related disability?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Practitioner

Testing for sensory-related developmental disabilities at a doctor's office begins with a physical exam and series of questions to be answered by the parents about their child's behavior and interactions with the environment. Next, the doctor will probably watch your child perform some basic tasks.  In some cases, the doctor then orders basic blood, hearing, vision, and genetic tests to learn more about your child's symptoms. Finally, you may be referred to a specialist such as a developmental pediatrician, medical geneticist, or other medical professional from further diagnosis and treatment recommendations.

Continue Learning about Sensory-Related Developmental Disabilities

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.