Do I need a prescription for senna?

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

Senna is one of many herbal laxatives; it is often an ingredient in ‘diet teas.’ It stimulates the colon, causing extreme diarrhea, nausea, and dehydration. Weight loss is a direct result of water loss, not fat loss. Drinking tea with senna is considered to be habit forming, as habit forming as using laxatives, making it impossible to have a bowl movement without it.

Senna is not recommended for anyone on a regular basis, for a one time use it can be used for a laxative when constipated. It is an over-the-counter herb.

Continue Learning about Senna