Do I need a prescription for senna?

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

Senna is one of many herbal laxatives; it is often an ingredient in ‘diet teas.’ It stimulates the colon, causing extreme diarrhea, nausea, and dehydration. Weight loss is a direct result of water loss, not fat loss. Drinking tea with senna is considered to be habit forming, as habit forming as using laxatives, making it impossible to have a bowl movement without it.

Senna is not recommended for anyone on a regular basis, for a one time use it can be used for a laxative when constipated. It is an over-the-counter herb.

Continue Learning about Senna

What are the warnings for senna supplements?
Marjorie Nolan CohnMarjorie Nolan Cohn
Senna is one of many herbal laxatives; it is often an ingredient in ‘diet teas.’ It stimulates the c...
What is the generic version of senna?
Senna does have generic forms. Senna is a plant that provides the active ingredient in some laxative...
How should I take senna?
The leaves or fruit of a senna plant can be made into tea. Because of the undesirable taste of senna...
What are the possible side effects of senna supplements?
Common and mild side effects of senna include: stomach cramping or bloating, gas, mild diarrhea, sli...