How does my behavior affect my child?

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine
You are the primary influencer in your child’s life.  Your behavior does significantly affect your child by his/her exposure to the way you communicate your values, thoughts, emotions, attitudes, actions, choices, decisions, and expectations.  Values are mostly “caught” and not simply “taught” only; your child will quickly emulate your behavior, good or bad.
Everything you do -- and we mean everything -- is observed and processed by your child. She’s like a human recording device. Your child takes all of that info and figures, “Hey, that’s the way I’m supposed to act!”  Most of the messages that kids receive don’t come from what you tell them but from all the nonverbal cues that accompany the actual words: your tone of voice, your body language, the gestures you use. If you want your child to eat healthfully, telling her to eat sautéed cauliflower while you order fried onion rings isn’t gonna work. If you want her to have healthy friendships, make sure she sees you resolving conflicts in a respectful way.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about School Age Child Emotional Health

How can I help a child who is acting out after a death in the family?
Niamh van MeinesNiamh van Meines
Often children find it easier to express themselves through games and drawing pictures. Spending tim...
How can I teach my child about delayed gratification?
You need to master the skill of not giving in to every little whim and want of your child. And f...
How can I prepare my child for a pet's euthanasia?
Marty TousleyMarty Tousley
Be open and honest. If the pet is terminally ill, death is pending and euthanasia is neces...
How Are Different Child Temperaments Dealt With?