Why do children learn things much faster than adults do?

Compared to adults, children have more nerve cells that can actively create new connections. This is why they can learn new languages, learn to play an instrument, or pick up a new sport more easily than adults can. To encourage these connections and brain flexibility, expose your child to a lot of different experiences and activities early and often.

This answer was created with the help of physicians at South Riding Pediatrics (www.SouthRidingPediatrics.com) and www.HealthyChildren.org.

Kids have more neurons actively creating new connections than adults do, so they can do things like learn to play tennis or memorize the multiplication tables or learn to play video games or fix a computer much more easily than we can. So it's much better for you to expose your kids to lots of different things—repeatedly, ideally—to allow those connections to be formed, rather than trying to catch up later.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

How can I maximize my child's learning potential?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
The easiest way to maximize your child's learning potential is reading to them every day for about 2...
How can I keep my kids from getting bored?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are a few solo ideas of activities that will keep your kids engaged. The secret is to tailor th...
How are growth disorders evaluated?
To evaluate growth disorders a pediatrician or family doctor will monitor a child's growth. When a c...
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?