Why do children learn things much faster than adults do?

Compared to adults, children have more nerve cells that can actively create new connections. This is why they can learn new languages, learn to play an instrument, or pick up a new sport more easily than adults can. To encourage these connections and brain flexibility, expose your child to a lot of different experiences and activities early and often.

This answer was created with the help of physicians at South Riding Pediatrics (www.SouthRidingPediatrics.com) and www.HealthyChildren.org
Kids have more neurons actively creating new connections than adults do, so they can do things like learn to play tennis or memorize the multiplication tables or learn to play video games or fix a computer much more easily than we can. So it's much better for you to expose your kids to lots of different things - repeatedly, ideally - to allow those connections to be formed, rather than trying to catch up later.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

School Age Child Development

School Age Child Development

Your school-age child’s development relies heavily on a stimulating, supportive environment and the healthy habits that you instill. Model good nutrition, fitness and hygiene, as well as activities like reading and learning new sk...

ills. It’s important to stay active and involved in your child’s intellectual development and growth. If you or your child’s teacher are concerned about your child’s development, talk to your pediatrician.