Why do children learn things much faster than adults do?

Compared to adults, children have more nerve cells that can actively create new connections. This is why they can learn new languages, learn to play an instrument, or pick up a new sport more easily than adults can. To encourage these connections and brain flexibility, expose your child to a lot of different experiences and activities early and often.

This answer was created with the help of physicians at South Riding Pediatrics (www.SouthRidingPediatrics.com) and www.HealthyChildren.org.

Kids have more neurons actively creating new connections than adults do, so they can do things like learn to play tennis or memorize the multiplication tables or learn to play video games or fix a computer much more easily than we can. So it's much better for you to expose your kids to lots of different things—repeatedly, ideally—to allow those connections to be formed, rather than trying to catch up later.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

How can I teach my children to rebound from mistakes?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
The following secrets from my book, The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyda...
What should I look at when checking my child's growth?
There are several factors that are considered when checking a child’s growth. The most common, depen...
Where is the best place for my child to do homework?
The best place for your child to do homework depends largely on her particular work style. Granted, ...
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?