How does learning develop once a child starts school?

Once in kindergarten, learning really starts to blossom. Most parents are awed by the growth of their children’s intellectual capacity from the time they enter the kindergarten classroom to the time they graduate from it. They learn so much in such a short period of time.

But what about after the kindergarten year?

The same connections your child made before entering school will continue to be reinforced and built upon. His growing bank of knowledge will help him form new associations, encode new information, and develop new understandings and skills. However, milestones aren’t as easy to pinpoint since your child is constantly developing. That’s why it’s particularly important to stay active and involved in your child’s intellectual development and growth throughout his school years. Help with homework when needed, keep the lines of communication open with your child’s teacher, and attend PTA meetings and parent/teacher conferences.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

Where is the best place for my child to do homework?
The best place for your child to do homework depends largely on her particular work style. Granted, ...
Why is it important to chart my child’s growth?
It is important for a doctor to chart your child's growth to make sure that your child is growing ap...
How can I help my child act her chronological age?
 Dr. Karyn  Purvis, PhD Dr. Karyn Purvis, PhD
A child’s brain can only mature fully when they’re in a nurturing environment from an early age, say...
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?