How can I deal with an intense child?

Lynne Kenney
You see, children want to be calm and happy. Evolution encourages children to strive – to live well, be loved and thrive. When children are willful, obstinate, unhappy or anxious, this is not their healthiest state. Their behavior and mood signal an imbalance in their body and brain.

So what can you do about it?

1. Know that the limbic brain is older and in the case of intense kids, momentarily more powerful than the frontal lobes. So plan for those amygdala melt-downs and prepare calming strategies with your child ahead of time. Talk about the times they feel like they are going to lose it and ask them if you can help by offering some pre-planned calming solutions like taking a walk, a bath or a bike ride. 
  2. Know that food and nutrition matter. Remember, it is not what you eat but what your body assimilates that is important. Consider whole food pharmaceutical grade vitamins, a transition to whole food and protein at each meal to help your child’s brain have better access to healthy nutrients.
  3. If you need more help see a developmental pediatrician, pediatric psychologist or neuropsychologist who specializes in cognitive and limbic calming strategies. Meditation, yoga and brain exercises can help increase neuronal connections thus harnessing the power of the Thinker to manage the Caveman. 

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

What is idiopathic short stature (ISS)?
Idiopathic short stature (ISS) is a condition in which a child is notably smaller in height than pee...
How does learning develop once a child starts school?
Once in kindergarten, learning really starts to blossom. Most parents are awed by the growth of thei...
How can I help my child do his or her homework?
Your children count on you to help them make connections between things that are new to them and wha...
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?