How can I deal with a clingy child?

Dr. Heather Wittenberg, PhD
Psychology Specialist

It is important to encourage your child to play by herself now and then, and this will stretch into longer periods of time of “self-directed activity,” which will be really important once she starts school.

You can try starting really small—while you’re together, and she is feeling good and really engaged in some kind of play, say something like, “Oops! I have to … ” (turn on the dishwasher, grab a glass of water, etc.). Then leave the room, for like two seconds. Then make a grand re-entrance. “See? Here I am. I just turned on the dishwasher and now I’m back with you.” Then re-engage in play with her. Slowly stretch out these mini-interludes so that she slowly but surely gets used to you being gone for bits at a time.

When she makes a leap (and you’re finally able to go pee by yourself … what a concept!), make a big deal out of how grown up she is for waiting nicely while Mommy pees, and how helpful it is to Mommy that she can wait for a few minutes, and now … let’s play together some more! So you’re using the time together as a reward for her being patient for a few minutes.

Dr. Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine Specialist

Realize that it's perfectly normal. As much as you may be totally embarrassed when your kid cries and superglues himself to your leg, remember that the other parents aren't judging you. They're secretly happy it isn't their kid this time.

Be patient. Luckily, the cling fest is usually short-lived. If you yell at your child or push him away this will only make things worse because he'll feel even less secure.

Dr. Sharon Ramey knows about child behavior and gives advice on how to stop overly-clingy behavior in this video from Discovery Health.

Continue Learning about School Age Child Development

How can I teach my children to rebound from mistakes?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
The following secrets from my book, The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyda...
What is speech disfluency in children?
Speech disfluency is also known as “stuttering” or “stammering.” It is disruptions in speech such as...
How can I encourage my child to stand up for his/her moral beliefs?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
If you want to raise a child who can stand up for his beliefs, then reinforce assertiveness—not comp...
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?
How Can I Deal with a Clingy Child?