Do women have particular symptoms of schizophrenia?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
There are some minor differences in the ways that schizophrenia affects women, such as the age at which symptoms begin. The average age for the disease to appear for women is 25. This is several years after men are usually affected, which is usually around age 18. However, women don't have symptoms that are distinctly different from those of men.  Antipsychotic medications may cause certain side effects specific to women. Sometimes a woman's menstrual cycle is disrupted by antipsychotic medications.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

6 Tips for Schizophrenia Caregivers
6 Tips for Schizophrenia Caregivers
“You need family members with a clear understanding that this is an illness,” says John Preston, PsyD, a neuropsychologist and professor emeritus with...
What are common myths and misconceptions about schizophrenia?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
There are many misconceptions and myths about schizophrenia. There is evidence that such myths help ...
Can I help my family member avoid a relapse from schizophrenia?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
You can help a person with schizophrenia avoid a relapse. According to the National Institute of...
Are There Different Types of Schizophrenia?