What happens if I go off my schizophrenia medications?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
If a person with schizophrenia stops taking his medications, he may experience a relapse of his symptoms. This sometimes happen when people feel that they have fully recovered and do not need the medications anymore. Relapses can also occur when people do not take their medications as directed. According to the Mayo Clinic, people who do not maintain medical treatment for schizophrenia might have more problems than those who manage their illness well. Some people with schizophrenia may do better receiving injectable medications for their illness, especially if they have trouble with medication compliance. Schizophrenia medications should not be stopped suddenly. If you have schizophrenia and your doctor advises you to discontinue your medication, be certain to follow the directions to slowly reduce your dose to avoid harmful results.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

If Someone Has the Genes for Schizophrenia, How Likely Is It That They Will Get the Disease?
What Is the Current Treatment for Schizophrenia?
What Are the Early Signs of Schizophrenia?
How Is Schizophrenia Diagnosed?
How Is Schizophrenia Diagnosed?