Does schizophrenia affect women differently than men?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
The symptoms of schizophrenia seem to affect men and women in similar ways. However, one thing that is different between the sexes when it comes to schizophrenia is the age that the disease first appears. The average age for people to first experience schizophrenia is between 16 and 30. Men usually are at the younger end of this range, first noticing signs of schizophrenia in their teenage years and early 20s. Women may not show symptoms for a little while longer, until they reach their 20s and 30s. The average age that schizophrenia begins for men is 18. For women, that age is 25. Schizophrenia symptoms almost always start before age 45. Another difference between males and females with schizophrenia is that males are more likely to commit suicide than females.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

What Are Healthy Lifestyle Changes That I Can Make to Mange Schizophrenia?
Is There a Connection Between Schizophrenia and Depression?
What Are the Early Signs of Schizophrenia?
What Are Common Side Effects with Schizophrenia Medication?