There are two factors that may contribute to a shorter life span. First, people with schizophrenia have a 1 in 10 chance of committing suicide, which is higher than the general population. They also are more likely to have serious medical conditions than the average person. These health problems may contribute to earlier death.
- Q Can people with schizophrenia maintain a job?
- Q What is it like to have schizophrenia and hear voices?
- Q What is the relationship of schizophrenia and homelessness in veterans?
- Q Can people with schizophrenia have children?
- Q Do all people with schizophrenia have to be institutionalized?
- Q How can I avoid stigmatizing my own illness if I have schizophrenia?